Simply Silver Persians Cattery - Purchased kitten- deformed and dirty

I recently purchased a kitten from Rebecca Sprague at I was so excited to finally pick up my kittens at the airport as they were a surprise for my child. Within minutes I had taken one of my kittens out of the pet carrier to check him out and cuddle with him. I was in for the shock of my life. My poor kitten has a deformed mouth and jaw area. He was missing several teeth, one of his canine teeth was so offset it was cutting into the roof of his mouth! The other bottom canine was sticking out the side of his mouth, he was completely unable to close his little mouth all the way. Not ONCE was I told I was purchasing a kitten with a deformity. While I was provided with a few pictures of him, his jaw appeared fine. The only pictures I was provided were very small baby photos of him, which were grainy. I am extremely disappointed by the fact Rebecca did not mention this to me. After spending $1500 on a kitten I expected a lot more.

After further looking at the kittens, both has mats on their belly and between their legs and arms. They smelled horrible. The male kitten's eyes with extremely filthy. Both looked at though they were never brushed or given baths. As if this wasn't enough, the only paperwork I received was a crumpled piece of paper from Rebecca's vet. Then I noticed green puss coming from the female kitten's eyes.This only further escalated my anger. I called Rebecca, but instead talked to her husband. He claimed they never once noticed an issue. He proceeded to blame me, the airport, and the kitten. How on earth was I able to detect a problem within minutes, but these horrible breeders claim their wasn't an issue????? I feel deceived and lied to. Rebecca then tried to claim this issue was my fault! Rebecca Sprague has no respect for her customers or her kittens, or the Dearheart blood line to be selling kittens with deformities and not make her buyers aware of any problem. I want to make sure this never happens to another hopeful customer of hers. Purchasing a kitten from will only bring extreme disappointment.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 3 Yes 3 19 No 19
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Aug 18, 2013 #702208 Chicago, Illinois

Since I know that online reviews can have a strong impact on a small business I felt compelled to rebut this negative review with a review of my own. Simply Silver Persians is a small hobby cattery. Unlike many large-scale catteries, the Spragues utilize professional veterinary services for all of their kitten care including check-ups and vaccinations. In general, when you purchase a kitten from a small-scale breeder, expect less genetic diversity & expertise, but more hands on socialization & attention.

I purchased two male kittens from the Simply Silver cattery less than a year ago. I drove to their cattery to select my kittens and to pick them up when they were weaned. On both occasions, the kittens were freshly washed and groomed. Rebecca & Jesse were very helpful in responding to my barrage of emails about the kittens. Persian kittens require a lot of upkeep; so I was thankful for all of their helpful advise. In the first few months, our kittens needed constant washing & eye cleaning; however, they outgrew this phase. Simply Silver Persians are “doll-faced” as opposed to “peke-faced,” so their eyes do not weep once they reach adolescence (unlike most show Persians). Their fur is exceptionally long and silky, which means that it mats almost immediately; so do not be surprised if a shipped kitten has a few knots. To keep them looking their best, you must brush them daily and bathe them weekly. However, since the Spragues bathe their kittens

2 0 Reply

Jul 31, 2013 #690942 Summit Hill, Pennsylvania

I would like to comment on the above abusive letter regarding Rebecca Sprague and Simply Silver Persians Cattery. When I read this persons comments about the deformed kittens mouth, how it was matted, and it smelled, I could NOT BELIEVE what I was reading! I bought an adorable little ball of fluff from Rebecca two years ago. I chose not to have my kitten shipped, as I wanted to see for myself where my kitten came from. I drove all the way from NJ to Indiana to pick him up. Rebecca's home was very clean, and the cats were well taken care of. Before I bought my kitten, they sent me many high def pictures of him. He can be seen as a kitten, and full grown cat on their website. They also sent me videos of him as well. Kody was, and still is, perfect in every way! I have had Persians for 18 years now, and I have to say that I am not dissatisfied in the least with Simply Silver Persians. They gave me the vet statement, as long as our signed document when I picked up Kody. All this being said, I am concerned for Fuggles. If those pictures are real, it is obvious that cats jawline is not straight. My concern is for the cat. I hope it is not in any pain, and instead of placing blame, I hope someone makes sure it can be taken care of. Persians are susceptible to jaw/teeth issues, and must be checked. I know of a vet that missed a mouth problem, causing the Persian severe pain, only to be brought back a second time, before the vet noticed anything. As far as the other pictures.. they... Show more

1 0 Reply
Rebecca S

May 10, 2013 #649036

My name is Rebecca Sprague, owner of SSPC. I am here to address the completely false accusations made by Ashley Wittling.

Let me start by saying that I have been in business for over 5 years in the Northern Indiana area as a small hobby breeder. We currently have 3 females and 1 male in our entire household, so we are in no way a "mill" or a commercial breeder. Our cats are part of the family and allowed to roam as they please in our household. They are all considered dear members of our family.

We have placed a great number of our Dearheart Persian kittens into loving homes all over the United States by way of airlines shipping, and by welcoming customers into our home for viewing and pickups. I can say with 100% certaintly that we have never had so much as one complaint leveled against us up until this point.

We were contacted by Ashley Wittling by phone on March 24th 2013 expressing an interest in Star (female) and Mr.Fuggles (male). We spoke on the phone for close to 15 minutes, she then inquired about the two kittens and their different personalities. I informed her that the kitten in question "Mr.Fuggles" was not as attractive as the other kittens...HENCE THE NAME, but that he had an amazing personality...which he did. Not only was the aesthetic trait she was speaking of completely unnoticed by a trained, licensed veterinary doctor, but he was issued a clean bill of health in all areas as stated on the vet papers below.

4 0 Reply

Aug 30 #1205881 Elizabethtown, Kentucky

Rebecca Sprague and Jesse replied to an email I sent to them in February of 2013 regarding a kitten. We had 2nd choice of this litter in question, and we drove from Kentucky to nearly Chicago to pick up our Sophie. She was known as pink, her collar color. Upon arrival to their CLEAN home, I picked up my Sophie and my husband and Mr. Fuggles got acquainted. He handled him for quite some time and actually tried to get me change my mind. He loved the spot on his head. He had literally the best personality of the entire littler! He was absolutely precious, whereas my Sophie was skiddish at first, which is why my husband loved Mr. Fuggles. He actually wanted him and mentioned getting two! After playing with the kittens, we got our paperwork, and was shown everything by Jesse. Rebecca had known my desire for the pink kitten had grown via the CLEAR photos and videos that I received on a regular basis. I was so afraid the woman before me would choose her, but she didn't, she chose purple collar kitty. Sophie was immediately taken to the vet the next day because we had I believe a 48 hour window. She was given a completely perfect bill of health. That was 3 1/2 years ago. She is my baby to this day. She is gorgeous and known as the "Fancy Feast cat" in our very small town.
When we picked up out kitten, we were warmly greeted. We were allowed all of the interaction time we wanted. Rebecca even asked Jesse to get a pet taxi for us because in our rush, we had forgotten one. I told

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Simply Silver Persians Cattery. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Simply Silver Persians Cattery.
Filing a new complaint about